Animation connects with people on a deep emotional level, evoking instant feelings of nostalgia, humor, and excitement. People simply love seeing animated graphics - so if your company can use them effectively to convey information, customers will pay attention and enjoy the experience.
This might leave you wondering: What kind of animation should we use? 2D graphics and 3D graphics are two popular forms - but which is most effective? Here’s a closer look.
Defining 2D vs. 3D
2D and 3D Graphics are quite different from one another, in both their creation and their end result. On the most basic level, 2D graphics have height and width, and 3D graphics add a layer of depth which provides an element of realism.
People are most familiar with 2D graphics in traditional cartoons. 2D graphics are widely used in animation and video games, providing a realistic, but flat, view of movement on the screen.
3D graphics provide realistic depth that allows the viewer to see into spaces, notice the movement of light and shadows, and gain a fuller understanding of what’s being shown. 3D motion graphics work with the brain’s natural tendency to explore what we see and enrich our understanding of the world.
How Companies Use 2D and 3D Graphics
Companies use motion graphics to educate, entertain, and connect with people on a deeper level. Animation enhances messages, making them much more memorable than simply reading text.
Here’s a short list of ways a company can use animated graphics:
- Title slates, charts, and captions for promotional messages and commercials
- Animated logos that twist, flip, bounce, or flutter
- Characters that serve as a mascot for the business
- Educational and instructional graphics, including training videos
- Diagrams that show proper assembly
- Animations that demonstrate a procedure or process
- Virtual tours and walk-throughs
- Internal tours that show things otherwise hidden from the human eye
Effectiveness of Graphics
There’s no question that motion graphics help people learn and remember information. In fact, many people would rather see a video than interact with your brand in any other way.
- People remember animations 21 days longer than static images and text.
- 72% of people would rather watch a video about a brand than read text about it.
- 85% of people wish companies would share more videos, rather than create other types of content.
Research has also shown that 3D experiences make people people feel more emotional than 2D graphics. When people were shown holographic and virtual reality images during an experiment, they reacted by exclaiming, moving their hands, and even crying.
While both 2D and 3D graphics can connect with people on some level, richly-detailed 3D graphics are more effective at communicating complex information and inspiring genuine feelings. They illuminate abstract ideas, providing a much richer experience that feels real.
Next Step: NextThought Studios
If your company needs to train employees, educate buyers, or communicate creative concepts, consider using 3D graphics. The animators at NextThought Studios produce 3D videos using Cinema 4D, a world-class professional animation package.
No matter how complex or creative your idea is, our animators can bring it to life in rich, realistic 3D. Connect with NextThought Studios for a custom quote, and let’s start brainstorming.